Tuesday, January 29, 2008

So, I have been a lurker for quite awhile now. I read many of my friends' blogs and enjoy keeping up with them that way. And then I decided that it must be therapeutic to blog...and since I am in a new stage of my life, here I go!

My son, Cole, was born on January 19, 2008. And let me just say that having a son has more than exceeded my expectations. I have a daughter, Mia, and she will be two in a couple of weeks. I still remember when our doctor told us that this baby was a boy. I couldn't really feel the excitement. In fact, I was a little concerned to be honest. How could I deal with a boy? I had the girl figured out (well, sort of), but a wild, dirty, rowdy boy? As the pregnancy progressed, I found myself becoming more and more comfortable with the idea of a boy. We got his room (mostly) ready and bought boy clothes. And then I met him...and fell in love! His little, boyish face that looks like the perfect combination of his sister and daddy was impossible to resist. And now I know that I am supposed to have one of each...and it is incredible...

and hard. Being a new mommy is hard enough, but a new mommy and a two year old's mommy is something else entirely. It is something that I am just beginning to figure out. In fact, I have hardly been alone with the two kiddos since Cole and I came home from the hospital. I am a little scared I will not be able to handle it! So, with lots of help from my mom, we are getting through the days while Daddy is at work. And the newborn nights are a shared effort for Mommy and Daddy, except that Daddy can't nurse the boy. :)

So here I am - blessed and exhausted, thrilled and terrified, excited and nervous, hopeful and paranoid. I would say those are all typical of a new Mommy, right?

2 comments:

drbaucom said...

KP!!!!!!! I'm so happy you are on here now! It's great to know how you are doing and hear your thoughts on motherhood.

In a much smaller way, I'm experiencing that sort of thing with my little Tino. The broken leg has really complicated things! But he's just so precious.

Tell those babies hi for me!

Lauren said...

HOORAY! I'm so glad I get to read about having two before I actually do. I am a little nervous about it actually which I think is why I keep putting it off.