Monday, June 2, 2008

First Monday of Summer!

Let me start by saying that I am not complaining at all because I feel elated that it is summertime and I am home. But, this has been a slightly tiring day so far! The ninth graders have nothing on my two kids!!!

4:30 am - Cole wakes up. Now, he is sleeping upstairs in his own bed. And this was the first awakening of the night/morning. We are trying to break the habit of bringing him to our bed in the early morning hours, so I go upstairs and try to give him his paci without picking him up. It works, but I know it is temporary. I lay down on his floor to rest my eyes until he cries again. Believe me, laying on the floor is much better than trudging up and down the stairs four times. I re-paci him three times (I think - it becomes a little blurry in those wee hours of the morning), and finally head back downstairs to bed at 5:40 am.

5:50 am - Cole wakes up, and he is hungry. Since I always feed him between 6 and 6:30, I change him and bring him down to eat. Now, after the 6 am feeding, he does stay downstairs and hopefully sleep a little longer.

6:15-7:40 am - Cole, with a full tummy, is cooing and squirming and smiling and spitting up...and I am laying next to him trying to go back to sleep.

7:40 am - He gives in and falls back asleep.

7:50 am - Mia starts calling "Mommy! My tummy is sick!" Now, we think this simply means that she is hungry and her tummy is growling. Because she usually says it at meal times and she has yet to actually get sick.

7:50-8:30 am - Mia eats Cheerios and drinks her milk. She tells me that the milk makes her tummy better. :)

8:30 am - Cole is awake. Mia has her first meltdown because I will not let her eat fruit snacks so early in the morning. I offer her actual fruit, but she wants fruit snacks.

9:00 am - Talk to my dear zumthemum friend for the first time in a long time. I enjoy, again, the feeling of NO SCHOOL!

9:20 am - I shower, while Mia and Cole watch Max and Ruby on our bedroom TV. Cole intermittently cries, and Mia shoves his paci in his mouth. It is pretty funny, and Cole laughs at her when she does it.

9:45 am - Cole decides he does not want to wait until 10 am to eat. But he has to, so he is getting angrier by the minute. Mia has meltdown #2 because I will not let her use my actual makeup. I offer her a brush or two, but she wants to use the eyeshadow.

10:00 am - While feeding Cole, I get up three times to assist Mia with various things. First, she wants to color. Then, she wants to color with her colorwonder markers. Finally, she decides that she wants to eat the oranges that I offered her with breakfast. When I tell her she must sit at her table to eat the oranges, she has meltdown #3. She is really being two today!

10:50 am - We all go upstairs because I am determined to get Cole on a regular nap schedule in his bed.

11:10 am - Cole is asleep, so Mia and I come back downstairs. I feel very accomplished.

11:20 am - Momo calls and I ask her to come sit with sleeping Cole while Mia and I run to Target.

11:30 am - I feed Mia lunch - peanut butter and crackers and cheese. I know it is not much, which is why we desperately needed to go shopping.

11:50 am - Momo arrives and Cole wakes up. The two are not related, just coincidental. I, feeling sure that this is just a minor intrusion on his sleep, go upstairs to comfort him back to slumber. Wailing, screeching, and fit throwing ensues.

12:00 pm - While I am trying to calm a crazy Coley, Mia has meltdown #4 because I won't/can't "ring around the rosy" with her.

12:30 pm - Still throwing a fit, Cole finds a little comfort in sitting outside. At this point, I have missed my window of opportunity for the store, since 1:30 brings naptime for Mia and another meal for Cole. So, we stay outside for a bit while Mia golfs and draws on the sidewalk. She can almost draw an "M" and can draw an "I."

1:00 pm - We all come back inside and Momo leaves.

1:20 pm - The three of us go upstairs to read a book before Mia's nap. Since Cole is pretty hungry and unforgiving at this point, I am practically yelling the book so she can hear me. Mia (remarkably) goes immediately down for her nap.

1:30 pm - I feed the baby boy and both of us crash.

2:15 pm - He wakes up, but I am able to coax him back to sleep. I know that he is overly tired at this point. I watch "Bringing Home Baby" on TLC and say a prayer of thanks that we are not at that stage right now.

2:45 pm - Cole wakes up and is smiling and being super-sweet.

3:00 pm - I put him in his swing so he can watch Baby Einstein. He loves it! It will occupy his little brain for 30 tear-free minutes! I empty the dishwasher and start the dryer.

3:15 pm - I sit down to do this blog. Now, I know it is not terribly interesting, but it feels good to write it all down! :)

3:30 pm - Mia will be up any minute, and I think we are going to go look for a swim-float thing for Cole since we are going to the pool with some friends on Wednesday.

The rest of the evening's plans are to go find new cell phones (YEA!) and eat dinner at Momo's while Chris mows her lawn.

Tomorrow brings school and swimming lessons for Mia! She is really excited. Chris is taking her and Cole and I will observe. I am hoping to actually make it to the store with Cole while Mia is a school. We will see...

4 comments:

drbaucom said...

Whew! You are one busy mamma.

Lauren said...

You know...shockingly I think I would trade my job for that anyday.

Randa's notes on doing life with Christ and family... said...

Girl - what a day! Welcome to Summer...I think! I love the part of Mia shoving Cole's paci in his mouth. :)

BTW, you're a better mom than I am. My child has an ice cream sandwhich for dessert after breakfast EVERY morning. I try to tell myself it's dairy! At least the fruit snacks have the word "fruit" in them! :)

Enjoyed our chat this morning!

Anonymous said...

I know we said we were going to bed, but I had to look at one post. I'm so glad I chose this one because I enjoyed it oh so much! Very entertaining.

Although, I must say it made me miss you even more.