Wednesday, December 10, 2008

A Momma's Boy He Is


Well, here I am! I know that you have missed me, and I have missed you too! I have been reading, but not writing lately. I have been formulating blog posts in my head, but not taking the time to put them down. Anyhow, I am now.

Coley is a Momma's boy. I have always heard about the special relationship between mothers and sons. And I believe it now! I am sure that my working at the preschool has much to do with it. The fact that I am in there with him all the time (when he cries or eats, or when he won't sleep, or when I want to see him) probably also contributes to it. I often carry him on my hip, making copies or delivering things to classrooms. Most of the kids know him (although some can't get his name quite right..."Cool" is what one little girl call him), and he is happy to be my helper. He is truly a joy, and seeing his little not-so-toothless smile (4 teeth now) makes me happy in ways I never knew.

But having a Momma's boy comes with some strings. I can't miss bedtime. He will not go to sleep with a bottle. He also will not (usually) calm down in the middle of the night for anyone but me. Dinners out (I have only had two, I think, since he was born) are often ended abruptly, with my having to return home to feed him and put him to bed. And I don't mind it all in the grand scheme of things - it was my choice to be a nursing mom. But there are times when a glass of wine and an adult dinner with my husband would be awfully nice.

And all of this makes my over-night trip to Oklahoma City this weekend a little more than nerve-wracking. I may come home to a sleep-deprived husband and a son who has not slept or eaten in 24 hours. It should be really fun!

6 comments:

Michele said...

I love your blog.

zum the mum said...

A NEW POST!!!! Yea!!!! I love that sweet boy...I just want to squeeze him. I'm praying for a smooth trip this weekend, because goodness knows, I need some adult conversation!!!! Be prepared for your ears to hurt after our drive. I will be talking A LOT!

Unknown said...

Bless your heart! I hope you and Luc do not have to make a midnight trip home! He is sooo cute! Don't let her talk you to death!

Randa

drbaucom said...

You'll be okay! I was with Lauren at camp during her first long seperation from Ethan. I tried to keep her distracted... hopefully it helped. I'll try the tactic on you too! Can't wait to see you!

Lauren said...

Distractions help!! (Thanks Deb :)) Ethan was and still is a momma's boy! He and Chris will survive...Chris may not want you to leave again for a while but they will manage. Sounds like Melissa will keep you plenty distracted. Can't wait to see you...ALL of you!!!

zum the mum said...

Love the new design! So seasonal!!!